Tile from Convent of Concepción Francisca, Toledo
A rare alfardon (Hexagonal tile) decorated with blue-petalled flowers and stylized Moorish plant motifs and banderols bearing the inscription in lower-case Gothic characters fer be ('do good'). From the decoration of the chapel of San Jeronimo of the Convent of Concepción Francisca in Toledo. This chapel was founded in 1422 by Gonzalo López de la Fuente. Provenance: Achterbergh collection. Van Achterbergh senior managed to gather an enormous collection of tiles and majolica dating from between 1400 and 1700. In 2012 and 2013 part of the collection on loan by Princessehof museum was sold at auction. Tile has some wear to glaze especially to bottom side as can be expected from these early floor tiles. 2 tiles available.
Interested to buy?